One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A relish of chopped vegetables, mustard, and hot spices.
relish, chutney, chow chow, sauerkrautView synonyms
- ‘Serve the lamb in toasted pitta breads with the piccalilli and salad leaves.’
- ‘I haven't even made my usual jars of piccalilli or sweetcorn relish to have with the Christmas ham.’
- ‘He was accused of submitting claims for ‘inappropriate’ items, including metal fruit baskets, plastic holders for bathroom utensils, and even jars of piccalilli.’
- ‘Good piccalilli is something you can't buy factory-made it's never really successful. So, why not make your own?’
- ‘To the many satisfied customers who buy her prized homemade piccalilli it does not matter where the ingredients have come from.’
- ‘The original Piccalilli recipe dates back to English cookery in the mid 18th Century.’
- ‘Traditionally, all the vegetables in a piccalilli are salted, but I find the flavours are punchy enough, so I skip this stage.’
- ‘This sweet piccalilli is delicious with cheese, cold meats and especially pork pies.’
- ‘A pressed slab of ham hock and foie gras were correct enough and their accompanying home-made piccalilli was bravely sour.’
- ‘I enjoyed a very coarse ‘country terrine’ barded with a slice of something as thick as a steak, and served with mild home-made piccalilli.’
- ‘This was served with some kicking homemade piccalilli.’
- ‘From this month you can buy direct their organic all-year-round storecupboard supplies along with seasonal delights like gooseberry confiture, tomato and basil jelly and summer garden piccalilli.’
- ‘The quiet guitarist stooped in the gutter to pick up a bag of frozen chicken wings, a pack of custard creams and a small jar of piccalilli.’
- ‘When I was working in London we started to make our own piccalilli which is, in fact, very simple to do and used it in sandwiches.’
- ‘The menu takes in items as diverse as tiger prawn kebab with piccalilli, wild boar sausages, and duck and pickled cucumber on focaccia.’
Mid 18th century: probably from a blend of pickle and chili.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.