One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of food) spicy.
piquant, tangy, peppery, hotView synonyms
- ‘Try flavors beyond the traditional relishes, ketchup and mustards, like curry or picante sauce.’
- ‘Chorizo picante - the warmly spiced Spanish sausage best cooked slowly in tomato-based stews - is what you want here.’
- ‘The picante sauce has kick and mixes well with the enchilada.’
- ‘Important commercial sauces based on chilli include salsa picante, ubiquitous in Mexico.’
- ‘I put butter buds or picante sauce on it to cut out fats.’
Spanish, literally ‘pricking, biting’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.