One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of food) spicy.
piquant, tangy, peppery, hotView synonyms
- ‘Chorizo picante - the warmly spiced Spanish sausage best cooked slowly in tomato-based stews - is what you want here.’
- ‘Try flavors beyond the traditional relishes, ketchup and mustards, like curry or picante sauce.’
- ‘I put butter buds or picante sauce on it to cut out fats.’
- ‘Important commercial sauces based on chilli include salsa picante, ubiquitous in Mexico.’
- ‘The picante sauce has kick and mixes well with the enchilada.’
Spanish, literally ‘pricking, biting’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.