Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A photograph or movie; a picture.
movie, picture, feature, feature filmView synonyms
- ‘This pic was originally a photo of my lovely yellow birthday rose.’
- ‘They might even take a pic and some text from me for a match programme.’
- ‘His penwork is a bit uncertain, but there are some fine pics among these panels.’
- ‘I have elected to dive the site again to get some fish pics and close-ups.’
- ‘I think part of why he sent it to me is that he knew he would see pics of me in it on the Net and it would promote his group!’
- ‘I took several photos of friends, so if I took your pic and you want a copy emailed, just let me know.’
- ‘At one point, we were both taking a pic of a photographer capturing a bride and groom on film.’
- ‘I've been forwarding the news briefs and pics found here to my local press.’
- ‘Tonight, I'm writing a list of all the pics we need at tomorrow's video filming.’
- ‘Actually, this blog might be more interesting if I put loads of pics on it!’
- ‘Anyway, if you want to see him, we uploaded a couple of pics we took of him on the photo page.’
- ‘The pics and wallpapers that I put together for the community were received very well.’
- ‘You can have lots of ugly old photo frames, with masses of pics of yourself in smart places or with famous people.’
- ‘I got some pics too, but they are on film, so will have to wait for processing and scanning.’
- ‘I tried taking some videos today with the digicam, so no pics to post for now.’
- ‘You should know that they didn't have any other suitable pics so my photo HAD to be good enough.’
- ‘I'll be posting more pics later, but anyone care to guess where the pic was taken?’
- ‘I'm waiting for sister to send me the pics she took yesterday so I can update my pic on the blog.’
- ‘I've not got enough pics for the bridal fair, and we need to put together our album fairly soon.’
- ‘The other pics are available on their own page within the photos section.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of picture.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.