One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piano equipped to be played automatically using a piano roll.
- ‘Particular favourites were the Victorian schoolroom, Edwardian kitchen, blow football table and the brilliant pianola mechanical piano which played itself!’
- ‘The mechanical instrument museum was fascinating; its exhibits range from early musical clocks through pianolas and reproducing pianos to enormous dance organs which were the precursors of the disco.’
- ‘Piano solos, duets, and accompanied songs were the mainstays, joined by novelties for concertinas and harmoniums, and, later on, the pianola.’
- ‘In the third movement, this comes out most clearly, as the pianola sputters to a breakdown.’
- ‘Such was the cultural prominence of the player piano then that it was not unusual to learn the piano by following the moves of the pianola.’
Late 19th century: apparently a diminutive of piano.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.