A trio for piano and two stringed instruments, usually violin and cello.
- ‘Earlier, I played with a trio formed in Finland, and for nearly ten years we played almost the whole of the piano trio literature.’
- ‘Contemporary piano trios with a swing are few and far between even despite the similarities of the Jazz trio medium.’
- ‘One would assume that the piano trio is a combination less likely to attract young composers today as it obviously did attract in the 19th century.’
- ‘And it's much more than a competition - there's a festival atmosphere, with 70 young musicians from 12 countries contributing to a feast of string quartets and piano trios: 120 works by 36 different composers.’
- ‘Ian has composed over sixty pieces including concertos for organ, cello, alto saxophone, violin, marimba and piano, orchestral pieces, six chamber quartets, three piano trios, and many other chamber and vocal works.’