Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The delicate innermost membrane enveloping the brain and spinal cord.See also meninges
- ‘The innermost layer is the pia mater, a delicate vascular layer adherent to the surface of the brain and spinal cord.’
- ‘Arachnoid and pia are also called leptomeninges (thin membranes).’
- ‘The lining consists of three layers - dura, arachnoid and pia.’
- ‘The pia mater has received little attention regarding its function in the deformation of the spinal cord under compression.’
- ‘These veins are found in the maternal part of the placenta, the spinal cord pia mater, retina, sinuses of the dura mater, most cerebral veins, trabecular veins of the spleen, and veins of the nail bed.’
Late 19th century: from medieval Latin, in full literally tender mother translating Arabic al-'umm ar-raḳīḳa.
pia mater/ˌpēə ˈmädər//ˌpīə ˈmādər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.