One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of an insect or other invertebrate) feeding on plants.
- ‘As important as behavioral and physiological alterations are as a means of circumventing toxins, direct metabolic detoxication is arguably the strategy which is the most effective and most commonly employed by phytophagous insects.’
- ‘Historically, feeding-induced plant resistance is a well-documented phenomenon for leaf-chewing insects and phytophagous mites.’
- ‘This possibility [that catnip may be a defensive substance, protecting the plant against phytophagous insects] was investigated by a series of simple experiments.’
- ‘It is of interest that a plant native to Eurasia would host such substantial numbers of phytophagous arthropods in North America.’
- ‘Trade-offs exist when two physiological demands are limited by the same resource (e.g., protein in phytophagous insects).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.