Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Instruction in physical exercise and games, especially in schools.→ phys ed
- ‘At the same time budget cuts for physical education mean that pupils have less opportunities for exercise.’
- ‘They were integrated for subjects such as physical education and music.’
- ‘A further important aspect of the school and national curriculum is physical education, sports and games.’
- ‘For her first 10 years on the job, Ruley coached basketball and taught physical education.’
- ‘Born in Canada, he grew up in New Mexico and majored, as he mentioned at his trial, in physical education.’
- ‘Her aim is to find a university to study physical education and teaching once she has taken her exams at the end of this year.’
- ‘Even physical education for merely normal students is being cut back, eliminated.’
- ‘After the Olympics he plans to go back to Sage Hill to teach physical education and art.’
- ‘Aine runs the after-school club at St Colman's PS where physical education is the name of the game.’
- ‘In physical education, pupils had the chance to take part in 16 different sports and ended up winning regional and local trophies.’
- ‘As I say, Maths and English we support being compulsory and physical education should be no different.’
- ‘Now you might have heard a program we did on The Sports Factor towards the end of last year about children and physical education.’
- ‘Teachers are under great loads in all areas of the curriculum, and I think physical education needs to move forward.’
- ‘So I suggest certain measures to make physical education more effective.’
- ‘It recognises their efforts to promote physical education and sporting excellence in the school and the wider community.’
- ‘The Yorkshire Post has now been campaigning for over two years to raise the profile of physical education in state school timetables.’
- ‘One noted expert on physical education claims that high-school athletes have the backing of both parents and coaches for steroid use.’
- ‘I think one of the fatal mistakes that a number of States have made is actually to separate physical education from sport.’
- ‘He became a student of physical education and exercise science at California State University in Chico, near Los Angeles.’
- ‘The physical education that the women had was very tough and grueling.’
physical education/ˈfizikəl ˌejəˈkāSHən/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.