Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The arrangement of leaves on an axis or stem.
- ‘There was a negative correlation between phyllotaxy and leaf primordium diameter: species with greater numbers of orthostichies or parastichies had smaller leaf primordia.’
- ‘Each current-year shoot of Q. crispula has one terminal bud, one to five terminally lateral buds and several lateral buds in the lower stem in alternate phyllotaxis.’
- ‘From this and related work it has become necessary to define a meristem by its phyllotaxy and other growth patterns and not the identity of organs it produces.’
- ‘The courses of these bundles were presented both in transverse sections chosen at characteristic points (where changes in phyllotaxy and bifurcation of leaf trace bundles occurred) and in longitudinal diagrams.’
- ‘Poaceae species present a conserved distichous phyllotaxy (leaf position along the stem) and share common properties with respect to leaf initiation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.