One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of the K vitamins, found in cabbage, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables, and essential for the blood-clotting process.Also called "vitamin K1" (see vitamin K)
- ‘‘Older people tend to have higher blood levels of phylloquinone,’ explains Booth, ‘so we thought they might not respond to dietary increases as much as the younger group.’’
- ‘The IUPAC-IUB Commission on Biochemical Nomenclature abbreviates phylloquinone as ‘K’ while menaquinone is abbreviated as ‘MK-n.’’
- ‘The best-known member of the vitamin K family is phylloquinone, also known as phytonadione because of its relationship with photosynthesis.’
- ‘‘People over age 65 consumed more phylloquinone than those in the 20 to 40 age bracket,’ she says.’
- ‘After earlier research, a purified form of vitamin K, phylloquinone, was isolated from plants in 1939 and used to treat a nutritional deficiency characterized by decreased prothrombin levels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.