Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The orientation of a plant or other organism in response to light, either toward the source of light (positive phototropism) or away from it (negative phototropism)
- ‘Like other interactions between organisms and their environments, plant phototropism can be thought of as a process involving three phases: perception, transduction and response.’
- ‘The nucleus-localized, flavin-binding gene products, CRY1 and CRY2 are involved in several blue light responses, including phototropism.’
- ‘The latter is known as a photoreceptor, for example, for phototropism, stomatal aperture and entrainment of endogenous rhythms in plants and animals.’
- ‘Phototropins mediate photomovement responses such as phototropism, chloroplast relocation and stomatal opening.’
- ‘One of the earliest noted auxin effects was in phototropism, the curvature of stems toward a light source.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.