Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an organism) obtaining energy from sunlight to synthesize organic compounds for nutrition.
- ‘Synthesis of the full spectrum of flavour precursors may resume if the callus is allowed to redifferentiate or regain a capacity for phototrophic metabolism.’
- ‘By contrast, no linkage was detected in crosses with the five class II mutant strains since phototrophic recombinants were recovered at high frequency.’
- ‘Overall, the results stress the importance of both heterotrophic and phototrophic metabolisms when considering environmental controls on the structure of bacterial communities in the sea.’
- ‘The high nutrient demands of microbial degradation imply furthermore a competition for nutrients between heterotrophic degradative and phototrophic productive processes.’
- ‘We have argued that more than the alga's, it is the host's metabolism that has had to adjust to the conditions of phototrophic endosymbiosis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.