One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bodily movement of a motile organism in response to light, either toward the source of light (positive phototaxis) or away from it (negative phototaxis).Compare with phototropism
- ‘In 1883, he demonstrated that phototaxis of other protozoans toward Euglena was due to light-induced production of oxygen in the latter.’
- ‘Far-red or red background lights irradiated vertically from above drastically inhibited phototaxis toward red light or far-red light, respectively.’
- ‘Namely, two rhodopsins that absorb in different spectral bands and optimally function at different intensity ranges generate two photoreceptor currents that control flagella movement during phototaxis.’
- ‘Wild-type flies showing normal phototaxis consistently moved towards the light to end up in the last tube by the end of the trial.’
- ‘They possess a common chromophore, retinal, that upon absorption of light isomerizes and thereby triggers biological functions ranging from light energy conversion to phototaxis and vision.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.