Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A response of a plant or other organism to light, mediated otherwise than through photosynthesis.
- ‘The larval photoresponse is thus dependent on the larval photoreceptors.’
- ‘Their photoresponse was enhanced remarkably, and they possessed higher photodynamic activity than the other derivatives.’
- ‘The action spectrum for the overall photoresponse of plants, however, extends below 400 nm and beyond 700 nm, and there is a significant minimum in the green region.’
- ‘According to the hypothesis, a photoresponse such as flowering is set in motion when daylight overlaps with a part of the cycle at which the concentration of the molecule exceeds a certain threshold value.’
- ‘In recent years, signal transduction pathways controlling photoresponses in plants has been demonstrated.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.