Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A structure in a living organism, especially a sensory cell or sense organ, that responds to light falling on it.
- ‘Indeed, most organisms have evolved specialized photoreceptors for circadian light perception.’
- ‘In the case of the retina and the pineal of lower vertebrates, the cells involved are direct photoreceptors.’
- ‘The eight photoreceptors and 12 accessory cells occupy selfsame and stereotyped positions within each unit eye.’
- ‘All visual systems begin with photoreceptors, which are cells that respond to light energy.’
- ‘Both Z and phototropin have been implicated as blue light photoreceptors of guard cells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.