One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A structure in a living organism, especially a sensory cell or sense organ, that responds to light falling on it.
- ‘Both Z and phototropin have been implicated as blue light photoreceptors of guard cells.’
- ‘In the case of the retina and the pineal of lower vertebrates, the cells involved are direct photoreceptors.’
- ‘Indeed, most organisms have evolved specialized photoreceptors for circadian light perception.’
- ‘The eight photoreceptors and 12 accessory cells occupy selfsame and stereotyped positions within each unit eye.’
- ‘All visual systems begin with photoreceptors, which are cells that respond to light energy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.