One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting vision in daylight or other bright light, believed to involve chiefly the cones of the retina.Often contrasted with scotopic
- ‘First, the .5 log unit ND reduction of luminance may have been excessive for a photopic task.’
- ‘The photopic curve is for normal vision, and the scotopic curve is for eyes that are adjusted to the dark.’
- ‘Figures 1 and 2 show scotopic and photopic amplitude values for all ERG parameters measured for each dog.’
- ‘Mean photopic b-wave amplitudes were significantly reduced in cases compared with controls, as were mean oscillatory potential amplitudes and latencies.’
- ‘The objects being searched are relatively large, highcontrast lines that are viewed under photopic conditions.’
Early 20th century: from photo- ‘light’+ -opia + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.