Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The branch of technology concerned with the properties and transmission of photons, for example in fiber optics.
- ‘It aims to develop technologies across a wide range of disciplines including superconductivity, nanotechnology, data storage, photonics and power electronics.’
- ‘The research is a prime example of work at the forefront of two strategic initiatives of the School of Engineering: information technology and photonics, and nanoscience and nanotechnology.’
- ‘Spie recognizes optics and photonics as an important technological branch of modern physics.’
- ‘Everyone knows there are a multitude of organizations connected with optics, photonics, and lasers that serve the European community.’
- ‘There may be a move away from electronics to photonics, a merging of the two, as well as links to carbon-based systems.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.