Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of technology concerned with the properties and transmission of photons, for example in fiber optics.
- ‘The research is a prime example of work at the forefront of two strategic initiatives of the School of Engineering: information technology and photonics, and nanoscience and nanotechnology.’
- ‘It aims to develop technologies across a wide range of disciplines including superconductivity, nanotechnology, data storage, photonics and power electronics.’
- ‘Spie recognizes optics and photonics as an important technological branch of modern physics.’
- ‘There may be a move away from electronics to photonics, a merging of the two, as well as links to carbon-based systems.’
- ‘Everyone knows there are a multitude of organizations connected with optics, photonics, and lasers that serve the European community.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.