Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument containing a photoelectric cell and a series of electrodes, used to detect and amplify the light from very faint sources.
- ‘Samples were also simultaneously imaged using the secondary electrons that were detected by a photomultiplier.’
- ‘After collection of the emitted photons on a photomultiplier, the signal is digitized with a numerical oscilloscope.’
- ‘Spectra are corrected for the wavelength dependence of the emission monochromator and the photomultiplier and also by subtracting background intensities of the buffer solution.’
- ‘With Pica, a photomultiplier detects the emitted photons but, because of the small number produced during switching, multiple passes have to be used to build up a picture of circuit activity.’
- ‘The reflected fluorescence was detected via photomultipliers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.