One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device that generates an electric current or voltage dependent on the degree of illumination.
- ‘All alkali metals exhibit the photoelectric effect and are used in photoelectric cells.’
- ‘The new solar battery has a thin layer of photoelectric cells which, upon exposure to light, will start charging the normal lithium battery to which it is attached.’
- ‘In addition to being used as a semiconductor in photoelectric cells and copy machines, selenium is also used in ceramics, glass, and medicine.’
- ‘It is basically an analog synthesizer of my own design which is activated via photoelectric cells, played similar to the way a DJ works a turntable.’
- ‘From about 1970 he has experimented with combining sound with colour; often he works on a large scale, creating environments in which spectator movement triggers photoelectric cells, causing colours to change.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.