Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Dissociation of a chemical compound by the action of light.
- ‘The size of the peak indicates complete photodissociation of carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The retention of motion in heme proteins in sugar glasses is also shown by the recombination of CO after photodissociation.’
- ‘Oxygen would be produced by photodissociation of water vapour.’
- ‘This involves photodissociation or direct breaking of intramolecular bonds in biopolymers, caused by absorption of incident photons and subsequent release of biological material.’
- ‘This method is also useful to probe the oxygen on/off rates, especially when the quantum yield for oxygen photodissociation is low.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.