Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A semiconductor diode that, when exposed to light, generates a potential difference or changes its electrical resistance.
- ‘The image source may be replaced by an eyepiece, a CCD camera, a photodiode, a quad cell, or a fiber port.’
- ‘The sensor consists of a silicon photodiode, with a pre-amp that gives enough signal for the voice channel of a small radio transmitter.’
- ‘Semiconductor photodiodes offer high-sensitivity and low-noise operation, enabling them to detect very low light levels; attenuating filters must be used for high powers.’
- ‘The receiver uses a photocell or photodiode to detect the light.’
- ‘The outputs of the sphere photodiodes and also the photodiodes monitoring the source laser power were sent to an oscilloscope.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.