One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A semiconductor diode which, when exposed to light, generates a potential difference or changes its electrical resistance.
- ‘The sensor consists of a silicon photodiode, with a pre-amp that gives enough signal for the voice channel of a small radio transmitter.’
- ‘The image source may be replaced by an eyepiece, a CCD camera, a photodiode, a quad cell, or a fiber port.’
- ‘The outputs of the sphere photodiodes and also the photodiodes monitoring the source laser power were sent to an oscilloscope.’
- ‘The receiver uses a photocell or photodiode to detect the light.’
- ‘Semiconductor photodiodes offer high-sensitivity and low-noise operation, enabling them to detect very low light levels; attenuating filters must be used for high powers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.