Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device that detects or responds to incident light by using the electrical effect of individual photons.
- ‘As the optical input signal (blue line) to a photodetector increases, the electrical output signal (red line) increases proportionally, and then begins to deviate from linear.’
- ‘So far, we've made nanoscale lasers, photodetectors, and ribbons that serve as flexible sub-wavelength optical waveguides.’
- ‘The rear and front surfaces of an object are covered with a material containing an array of photodetectors and light emitters respectively.’
- ‘A plurality of photodetectors is used to detect the light and determine a first three-dimensional position of the interaction.’
- ‘In the simple experiment, a converging lens focuses laser light from two pinholes onto two different photodetectors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.