One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a substance) undergoing a reversible change in color or shade when exposed to light of a particular frequency or intensity.‘photochromic sunglasses’
- ‘With its photochemical cycle, bR represents a reversible photochromic system in addition to its charge translocation property.’
- ‘When a photochromic material is exposed to light, the light absorption properties of the material change.’
- ‘This reversible deprotonation and reprotonation causes the distinguished visible and fully reversible photochromic shift from purple to yellow.’
- ‘Therefore, we have attempted to create a simple, reversible photochromic metal-ion chelator that can be analyzed quantitatively.’
- ‘Also, photochromic substances can be restored to their original state after being in the dark for a period of time.’
1950s: from photo- ‘relating to light’ + Greek khrōma ‘color’ + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.