Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of chemistry concerned with the chemical effects of light.
- ‘The photoisomerization of C = C double bond is the basic subject of photochemistry.’
- ‘Commercial applications of photochemistry include photography, optical-brighteners and luminescent products.’
- ‘In photochemistry and photobiology, it is often assumed that the noncovalent association of a photosensitizer to its target will lead to more effective damage because diffusion-limited processes are eliminated.’
- ‘My hope is for a big increase for research into electrochemistry in hopes of finding better materials for making batteries combined with a big increase for research into photochemistry to find better materials for making photovoltaics.’
- ‘Early in the 20th century, new discoveries in photochemistry and photophysics improved both theoretical and empirical understandings of the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.