One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- short for photoelectric cell
- ‘We used a battery of twenty photocells and lasers, enough to register an object as small a fly passing by.’
- ‘In the presence of a magnetic field, the amount of laser light that is absorbed by the atoms changes and this is detected by a photocell.’
- ‘The receiver uses a photocell or photodiode to detect the light.’
- ‘The light passing through each filter is detected by the photocell, where it is converted to an electrical pulse.’
- ‘Single flies were loaded into glass tubes and each glass tube was clamped between the diodes of the photocells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.