Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for photoelectric cell
- ‘The light passing through each filter is detected by the photocell, where it is converted to an electrical pulse.’
- ‘In the presence of a magnetic field, the amount of laser light that is absorbed by the atoms changes and this is detected by a photocell.’
- ‘We used a battery of twenty photocells and lasers, enough to register an object as small a fly passing by.’
- ‘The receiver uses a photocell or photodiode to detect the light.’
- ‘Single flies were loaded into glass tubes and each glass tube was clamped between the diodes of the photocells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.