Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a substance) capable of a chemical or physical change in response to illumination.
- ‘The supramolecular assembly of photoactive materials into thin film architectures is a topic of current theoretical and experimental interest and of significant practical importance in photoelectric devices.’
- ‘By contrast, in the case of hydrogen abstraction, the ketone on rose bengal would become reduced to the alcohol, and the resulting molecule is no longer photoactive.’
- ‘None of the subjects had a history of photosensitivity, was receiving photoactive medication, or had sunbathed within 3 months of participating in the study.’
- ‘The team used chromophores with very large two-photon absorption cross sections to develop photoactive materials, and tuned the laser to excite the dyes.’
- ‘PYP belongs to the group of photoactive proteins including the rhodopsins, the phytochromes, and the cryptochromes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.