One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An occasion on which famous people pose for photographers by arrangement.
- ‘But there were questions about the significance of Thursday's meeting, with some critics calling it a mere photo opportunity.’
- ‘He decided to go ahead with his photo opportunity.’
- ‘They simply couldn't say no to a photo opportunity in front of the aircraft.’
- ‘But for most of Ireland's celebrity set - where every event is a photo opportunity - being a celebrity has really become a job in itself.’
- ‘It makes me queasy just to turn up for the photo opportunity so I turn up for the briefing as well.’
- ‘Local people know APEC means more than a photo opportunity.’
- ‘And after he completed the stunt to the audience's applause, he asked to be excused while he took time out for a photo opportunity, which he informed us he never misses.’
- ‘Pity she had not organised a photo opportunity with the goodly restaurateur, giving both of them great publicity, and shoring up her image.’
- ‘I'm told that, during a photo opportunity in Brighton, a passer-by pointed me out as ‘the shadow prime minister’.’
- ‘This Government was prepared to put the people of New Zealand at a significant disadvantage on the basis that it wanted to sign into this protocol simply for a photo opportunity.’
- ‘And remember that this is not a photo opportunity - cameras are usually prohibited - but it is a sobering experience opportunity.’
- ‘I'm sure there'll be a photo opportunity at some point.’
- ‘To ensure some press coverage, a photo opportunity was announced on 10 July, a week before the party, and the day before the release of Microsoft's Q4 results.’
- ‘The antivirus research team had a nice photo opportunity last week when we had our US lab visiting us here in Finland.’
- ‘Hardly a month has passed without a photo opportunity of the high-profile minister opening a state-of-the-art road scheme.’
- ‘After the photo opportunity, the drivers returned to the Marriott Marquis for a luncheon and interviews with national and international print, video and online media outlets.’
- ‘Private Aye predicts a photo opportunity and there may even be an interview granted to puffing hacks when he reaches the summit.’
- ‘This did however provide a good photo opportunity.’
- ‘It was a photo opportunity and made good copy too.’
- ‘A photo opportunity like this, while it is good - maybe the term is theater.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.