One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to light, especially as an agent of chemical change or physiological response.
- ‘To characterize this photic entrainment we examined frq expression in constant light, under which condition the mRNA and protein of this clock gene were strongly induced.’
- ‘Complementing the large compound eyes, locusts have three much smaller simple eyes or ocelli characterized by rapid signal transmission and high photic sensitivity but very poor spatial resolution.’
- ‘The implications of this work on thought about evolution of photic behavior in fireflies are considered.’
- ‘They are therefore true deep-brain photoreceptors that bypass the eyes as a pathway for photic information.’
- ‘Furthermore, extraretinal photoreceptors appear to be involved in the photic entrainment of the circadian clock.’
- ‘Exhibiting uncharacteristic panache, John used this result to question Jacques Loeb's then popular theory of photic orientation in insects, which required paired eyes.’
- 1.1Ecology Denoting the layers of the ocean reached by sufficient sunlight to allow plant growth.‘an average depth for the photic zone is about 300 feet’
- ‘Macroalgae benefit from this relationship because fertile drift plants are retained in the photic zone where they continue to contribute to the gene pool.’
- ‘Seasonal highs that pushed this euxinic layer into the photic zone would then lead to the greatly increased preservation and the TOC maxima.’
- ‘The relatively moderate brachiopod generic diversity is consistent with a moderately restrictive environment, including one below the photic zone.’
- ‘The authors skimmed their bacteria samples from the top, or photic layer, of the Mediterranean and Red Seas.’
- ‘Stromatolites were built by photosynthesizing organisms occupying shallow-water environments within the photic zone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.