One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline acid obtained e.g. by treating phosphates with sulfuric acid, used in fertilizer and soap manufacture and food processing.
A tribasic acid; chemical formula: H₃PO₄
- ‘The pair had been polishing off rough edges of metal from the inside of the stainless steel cylinder using an electro-plating process of pumping electricity through a solution of sulphuric acid and phosphoric acid.’
- ‘To give food a light texture, and/or control its acidity/alkalinity, yeast, sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, fumaric acid, phosphoric acid, lactic acid, and tartrates may be added.’
- ‘If the alcohol (with the exception of methanol) is heated with aluminum oxide, phosphoric acid or excess sulphuric acid, an alkene is formed along with a molecule of water.’
- ‘There are four main-types of fuel cells, classified by the type of electrolytes that produce the chemical process: phosphoric acid, proton-exchange membrane, sulfuric acid and molten carbonate.’
- ‘The alloy also resists sulfuric acid and pure phosphoric acid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.