One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Emit light or radiation by phosphorescence.
shine, glimmer, glint, catch the light, glitter, shimmer, glow, sparkle, twinkle, flicker, blink, wink, glisten, flash, flare, beam, fluoresceView synonyms
- ‘Some fluorescent materials, under the appropriate conditions, will also phosphoresce.’
- ‘Not only that, but the fracture zones were partially coated with a carbonate mineral that fluoresced a pastel bluish-white and phosphoresced a pale greenish-white.’
- ‘Researchers report that palladium atoms present at parts-per-million quantities in a polymer LED cause the material to phosphoresce.’
- ‘The water here phosphoresces when disturbed, so it was amazing to watch a few of these lovely animals glowing in the murk.’
- ‘The crystals fluoresce and phosphoresce a weak pale yellowish-green in ultraviolet radiation.’
- ‘Under the glare, the water around the boat seemed to phosphoresce in trails and puffs of liquid blue.’
- ‘Moreover, CQ possesses the rare property of phosphorescing in deaerated solutions at room temperature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.