A tough, hard form of bronze containing a small amount of phosphorus, used especially for bearings.
- ‘Corrosion rates are higher with hydrochloric acid than with sulphuric acid, but phosphor bronze, aluminium bronze and the CMA alloys are frequently used.’
- ‘The centre boss is made from phosphor bronze, the spool plates and back plate from high grade bar stock aluminium: brass is used for the beautiful caliper check spring, the spokes, and for the reel foot.’
- ‘The hub upon which the platter was mounted was phosphor bronze, and weighed an additional 17 pounds.’
- ‘The brushes are available in phosphor bronze or nylon and the mops are cotton.’
- ‘Overall, the wear resistance of gunmetal is not as good as phosphor bronze.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.