A binary compound of phosphorus with another element or group.
- ‘Some 50 packages of the highly toxic fumigant magnesium phosphide washed up in April after a spill near the Poor Knights Islands.’
- ‘Using all-terrain vehicles, a crew of state employees and contractors will roar through thousands of acres of federal land over the next few weeks, spreading oats saturated with zinc phosphide over prairie dog burrows.’
- ‘The author has included aluminium phosphide and pyrethroid poisonings in the appendix of the text in this edition.’
- ‘Many scientists adhered for a long time to the ‘solution precipitation’ hypothesis, according to which the loss in impact toughness was caused by precipitation of some phases, such as phosphides, at grain boundaries.’
- ‘Phosphorus reacts with sodium and probably with strontium and calcium to form phosphides that nullify the intended modification additions.’