One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A quantum of energy or a quasiparticle associated with a compressional wave such as sound or a vibration of a crystal lattice.
- ‘This important spectral region contains material information related to phonons, excitons, and Cooper pairs.’
- ‘Some of the collision energy can be channeled into a collective shudder of the condensate called a phonon.’
- ‘The phonon energies are also quantized in a nanocrystal.’
- ‘This issue is related to the inhibition of carrier relaxation due to the selection rule of interaction between electrons and phonons in discrete energy level systems.’
- ‘The broadness of the excited-state manifold is probably due to the strong electron coupling to high-frequency phonons, very recently suggested by Ihalainen et al.’
1930s: from Greek phōnē ‘sound’, on the pattern of photon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.