Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] A method of teaching people to read by correlating sounds with letters or groups of letters in an alphabetic writing system.
- ‘In the crucial early years of a child's education we need phonics and only phonics.’
- ‘The role of phonics in reading and writing instruction has become as much a political issue as an educational one.’
- ‘The primary focus of our teacher's reading instruction was phonics and reading fluency.’
- ‘One class in particular is the Early Literacy class, which is well taught and focuses on phonics and other early reading methods mandated by the State of California.’
- ‘For reading, it's phonics, phonics, phonics, supplemented with literature when the kids are ready for it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.