Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The study and classification of speech sounds.
- ‘Panini was a Sanskrit grammarian who gave a comprehensive and scientific theory of phonetics, phonology, and morphology.’
- ‘Dan is now a distinguished specialist on Amazonian languages and professor of phonetics and phonology at the fine Department of Linguistics at the University of Manchester in England.’
- ‘Those of us here on Language Log who cite exotic languages or talk about phonetics frequently use the International Phonetic Alphabet.’
- ‘Patterns that can be measured on laboratory instruments are generally regarded as part of phonetics, whereas phonological patterns tend to be more abstract and idealized.’
- ‘Transcribed excerpts of the lyrics will be analyzed with respect to phonetics, phonology, morpho-syntax, prosody, and lexis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.