One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The study and classification of speech sounds.as modifier ‘a phonetics laboratory’
- ‘Those of us here on Language Log who cite exotic languages or talk about phonetics frequently use the International Phonetic Alphabet.’
- ‘Transcribed excerpts of the lyrics will be analyzed with respect to phonetics, phonology, morpho-syntax, prosody, and lexis.’
- ‘Dan is now a distinguished specialist on Amazonian languages and professor of phonetics and phonology at the fine Department of Linguistics at the University of Manchester in England.’
- ‘Panini was a Sanskrit grammarian who gave a comprehensive and scientific theory of phonetics, phonology, and morphology.’
- ‘Patterns that can be measured on laboratory instruments are generally regarded as part of phonetics, whereas phonological patterns tend to be more abstract and idealized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.