One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person engaged or learned in philosophy, especially as an academic discipline.
thinker, theorist, theorizer, theoretician, philosophizer, metaphysicist, metaphysician, epistemologist, dialectician, logicianView synonyms
- ‘Descartes, of course, was not the first philosopher to view the body with disdain.’
- ‘Plato has a claim to be the first philosopher to establish philosophy as a subject.’
- ‘The noun Dasein is used by other philosophers, by Kant for example, for the existence of any entity.’
- ‘Conferences of philosophers on determinism and freedom aren't the same as they used to be.’
- ‘Some philosophers will find implausible the claim that contextualism is the cure for relativism.’
- ‘I need to brace myself before I throw myself at the modern continental philosophers.’
- ‘So far as we know, Socrates was the first philosopher to make prominent the question of how to live well.’
- ‘Some philosophers say they do not know what the thesis of determinism is.’
- ‘The philosopher Hannah Arendt concluded that evil lay in the refusal to think.’
- ‘Some philosophers contend that death is a harm inasmuch as it thwarts a central desire: to stay alive.’
- ‘The primary source is what scientists and philosophers have said about scientific method.’
- ‘Some of them tried to replace religion by a secular morality that owed much to the German philosopher Kant.’
- ‘Zeno was a pupil and friend of the philosopher Parmenides and studied with him in Elea.’
- ‘As is the hallowed custom with philosophers, the thinking of all of them is by nature unhistorical.’
- ‘So philosophers take the risk of nihilism and existential dread because the allure of wonder is too great.’
- ‘It seems to me that philosophers are often criticized for always demanding rational explanations.’
- ‘Future generations may or may not judge Wittgenstein to be one of the great philosophers.’
- ‘Do any of you know of any philosophers that seem to be more or less Buddhist in outlook?’
- ‘German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer was one of history's great pessimists.’
- ‘Spinoza the philosopher emerged in his true colours through the work of Schelling and Hegel.’
Middle English: from a variant of Old French philosophe, via Latin from Greek philosophos ‘lover of wisdom’, from philein ‘to love’ + sophos ‘wise’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.