One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound related to hydantoin, used as an anticonvulsant in the treatment of epilepsy.
- ‘Magnesium sulfate has been shown to be superior to phenytoin and diazepam for the treatment of eclamptic seizures.’
- ‘Drugs called anti-convulsants, such as phenytoin and valproic acid, are used to stop the involuntary action of the diaphragm.’
- ‘Anticonvulsant medications, including phenobarbital, valproic acid, phenytoin, and carbamazepine, have a significant lowering effect on carnitine levels.’
- ‘Anticonvulsants, such as phenytoin and carbamazepine, may be given to control epileptic fits.’
- ‘The anticonvulsant drugs phenytoin and valproic acid appear to interfere with folate absorption.’
1940s: blend of phenyl and hydantoin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.