One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prescription appetite-suppressant drug that binds to receptors on the hypothalamus, and is one of the pair of drugs known as fen-phen. It is still prescribed independently for obesity, following the withdrawal of fenfluramine, the other component of fen-phen.
- ‘Combining two old diet pills, phentermine and fenfluramine, appeared to produce better results than prior regimens.’
- ‘The prescription diet drug phentermine (the phen in the now infamous phen-fen debacle) can indeed cause impotence.’
- ‘In the 1990s, a combination of two drugs, fenfluramine and phentermine - fen-phen - was shown to have a mild short-term effect in helping overweight people lose a few pounds.’
- ‘The drug, once prescribed for losing weight and known as fen-phen when used with phentermine, was withdrawn by the Food and Drug Administration after reports of cardiac complications.’
- ‘At the same time, the use of fenfluramine and phentermine together was gaining in popularity, and cases of PPH associated with these drugs soon appeared.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.