One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prescription appetite-suppressant drug that binds to receptors on the hypothalamus, and is one of the pair of drugs known as fen-phen. It is still prescribed independently for obesity, following the withdrawal of fenfluramine, the other component of fen-phen.
- ‘At the same time, the use of fenfluramine and phentermine together was gaining in popularity, and cases of PPH associated with these drugs soon appeared.’
- ‘Combining two old diet pills, phentermine and fenfluramine, appeared to produce better results than prior regimens.’
- ‘The drug, once prescribed for losing weight and known as fen-phen when used with phentermine, was withdrawn by the Food and Drug Administration after reports of cardiac complications.’
- ‘The prescription diet drug phentermine (the phen in the now infamous phen-fen debacle) can indeed cause impotence.’
- ‘In the 1990s, a combination of two drugs, fenfluramine and phentermine - fen-phen - was shown to have a mild short-term effect in helping overweight people lose a few pounds.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.