One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment.
- ‘A classic forward genetics approach relies on the identification of observable mutant phenotypes.’
- ‘A quantitative model with additive effects was used to link genotypes to phenotypes.’
- ‘The observed data are the genotypes and the quantitative phenotypes of the subjects.’
- ‘For a parent with observed phenotypes, its actual genotypes can be inferred similarly.’
- ‘Plasticity is the property of a given genotype to produce different phenotypes depending on the environment.’
Early 20th century: from German Phaenotypus (see pheno-, type).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.