Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of cyclic and seasonal natural phenomena, especially in relation to climate and plant and animal life.
- ‘Flowering phenology is mainly under genetic control, implying that a detailed study of flowering phenology must consider plants at the individual level.’
- ‘Other investigations suggest a fundamental role for plant phenology in the population dynamics of oak herbivores.’
- ‘The ecology of Typha is well-known, with several studies on phenology, production rate, competitive superiority and gas transportation into the below-ground biomass.’
- ‘Many oak traits may act as selective mechanisms, including tree age, seasonal phenology, and chemical and structural defenses.’
- ‘As a result of this delayed phenology, the natural climatic conditions the plants experienced may have selected for early flowering regardless of competition treatment.’
Late 19th century: from phenomenon + -logy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.