A red dye that is used as a pH indicator and (in medicine) injected in testing kidney function.
- ‘These oligonucleotides were diluted in sterile water with 0.02% phenol red for visualization purposes and 15 nl was injected into one- or two-cell stage wild-type embryos.’
- ‘For UV irradiation, keratinocytes were washed twice with PBS and placed under a film of Hanks balanced salt solution without phenol red (GIBCO-BRL) to prevent UV absorption by the medium.’
- ‘The medium containing ALA and/or SA was removed, cells were washed I X with 0.9% NaCl, and 100 ILL of medium minus serum and phenol red were added.’
- ‘Aseptically dissected porcine lenses were maintained in modified medium 199 without phenol red supplemented with 1% penicillin-streptomycin and 4% porcine serum.’
- ‘Coverslips containing infected fibroblasts were mounted in a temperature-controlled chamber and bathed in DMEM lacking phenol red with 10% FBS and 20 mM Hepes (Gibco).’