One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline hydrocarbon present in coal tar, used especially in making dyes and synthetic drugs.
A tricyclic compound: chemical formula: C₁₄H₁₀
- ‘The organic compound phenanthrene can be precipitated from an ethanolic solution by the addition of water.’
- ‘The Cornell team worked with sand contaminated with phenanthrene, a polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon typically found in coal tar.’
- ‘Hplc analysis of the extracts showed that phenanthrene, fluoranthene and pyrene were the most abundant PAHs in all samples.’
- ‘The difference in expression of vitellogenin and choriogenins H and E between fish exposed to phenanthrene and reduced phenanthrene suggests that the two compounds may affect estrogenic receptors differently.’
- ‘Fujiwara repeated uptake and release experiments with both pyrene and phenanthrene, whose molecules are smaller than those of cholestane, with similar results.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.