One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action of dividing a large task or process into several stages.‘the phasing of the overall project’
- ‘An integral element of the Urban Infrastructure Strategy is the phasing of its implementation over fifty years.’
- ‘While a further €23m has now been allocated to the ‘package’, as announced by the Minister, it is the position of the Department that this package needs to be broken into phasing.’
- ‘The government has taken financial measures to optimise the phasing of EU structural funds.’
- 1.1 The relationship between the timing of two or more events, or the adjustment of this relationship.‘graphical techniques were used to investigate the phasing of traffic lights’
- ‘The phased repair and alteration project involved coordination and phasing of 22 different tenant agencies.’
- ‘The issue is that of political phasing of reforms and compromise political management, which some Young Turks had not fully argued or were averse to 1994.’
- ‘Putting these subdivisions together gives a time and space phasing of the different segments of this process in this potential configuration.’
- 1.2 The modification of the sound signal from an electric guitar or other electronic instrument by introducing a phase shift into either of two copies of it and then recombining them.
- ‘Bell sounds are messy and not for controlling, they also cause a litany of electronic effects such as phasing and digital delay without ever having gone through a patchbay.’
- ‘We experimented with phasing and EQ and compression and reverb, and he was up for it all.’
- ‘Then, after the incongruous Caribbean interlude, Donaldson falls back to looping, phasing and EQing all the other elements until the allotted six minutes are up.’
- ‘Brain research has shown that using sound phasing for brain synchrony will adjust the brain waves to deeper states down to the delta wave pattern.’
- ‘The fourth track ‘Shot 2 Pieces' bounces and whoops with Super Furry phasing and the the vocal is gentler.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.