Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Variation of the phase of a radio or other wave as a means of carrying information such as an audio signal.
- ‘Phase Jitter is the unwanted phase modulation of a primary signal by one or more other signals through the transmission process.’
- ‘This rotation can cause amplitude and phase modulation of the GPS signal, reducing navigation performance and effectiveness of traditional anti-jam systems.’
- ‘Changes in the wavelength for the maximum signal are used to directly determine the spectral phase modulation of the femtosecond pulse.’
- ‘The system carries out a new phase scan to determine the remaining spectral phase modulation (usually about 10% of the original).’
- ‘The amplitude and phase modulation of the NMR-signal as a function of the displacement encoding steps can be Fourier transformed to obtain the propagator.’
phase modulation/ˈfāz ˌmäjəˌlāSH(ə)n/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.