Inflammation of the pharynx, causing a sore throat.
- ‘The numbers for acute bronchitis, pharyngitis, and sinusitis increased sharply in 1995-in some cases from almost zero to several hundred per year.’
- ‘Group A streptococci are the most important human pathogens causing acute pyogenic infections such as pharyngitis and pyoderma.’
- ‘The upper respiratory tract should be examined for evidence of otitis media, rhinorrhea, nasal polyposis, and pharyngitis.’
- ‘The great majority of cases begin as a tonsillitis or pharyngitis with occasional cases associated with mastoiditis, otitis media, parotitis, sinusitis and dental infections.’
- ‘As in streptococcal pharyngitis, acute rheumatic fever and poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis most often occur in children.’