One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Focused on or concerned with the phallus or penis as a symbol of male dominance.‘the apartment block was an architectural monument to a phallocentric world’
- ‘In her view, the black males in Wilson's plays represent the ‘white supremacist capitalist patriarchy's phallocentric ideal’ and are constantly defending their genitals from the castrating gaze of black women.’
- ‘As a figment of heterosexual wish-fulfilment, the female nude serves primarily to guarantee the stability of a phallocentric fantasy in which the omnipotent male gaze sees but is never itself seen.’
- ‘Jones attempts to subvert the white patriarchal system by inverting the power dynamic serve only to reinscribe phallocentric notions of power and control.’
- ‘Most often, men are phallocentric (fascinated with their penises) and have not taken the opportunity to explore their own sexual body.’
- ‘The SFO is deliberately against technical virtuosity in favour of serendipity, against phallocentric guitar-heroism in favour of a detached, unphysical approach to playing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.