One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a phalanx or the phalanges.
- ‘The finger and thumb flexors were transected at the proximal interphalangeal joint and metacarpal phalangeal joint, respectively.’
- ‘Most midphalangeal fractures are caused by direct blows and result in transverse fractures, whereas distal phalangeal fractures are usually a result of crushing injuries occasionally accompanied by nail-bed injuries.’
- ‘Middle and proximal phalangeal fractures should be examined for evidence of angulation (by roentgenography) or rotation (by clinical examination), which require reduction.’
- ‘The extremities showed stigmata of rheumatoid arthritis with symmetrical swelling of the proximal interphalangeal joints and limited range of motion and swelling of the metacarpal phalangeal joints bilaterally.’
- ‘A tooth may penetrate an extensor tendon and MCP joint capsule, sometimes fracturing a metacarpal or phalangeal bone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.