One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ingestion of bacteria or other material by phagocytes and amoeboid protozoans.
- ‘Destruction of the red cells occurs as a result of the red cell-bound autoantibodies to the Fc receptors on monocytes and macrophages; phagocytosis and cytotoxic lysis of the red cells subsequently occur.’
- ‘Fc receptors mediate various effects on immune cells, including proliferation of B cells and phagocytosis by phagocytes.’
- ‘In addition, these ligands markedly upregulated production of CD36, a scavenger receptor that regulates phagocytosis of apoptotic neutrophils.’
- ‘During phagocytosis, monocytes, neutrophils and macrophages generate Superoxide radicals, hydrogen peroxide and the highly reactive hydroxyl radicals3.’
- ‘Weakened resistance to infection is caused by decreased antibody and complement production, leukocyte phagocytosis and intracellular killing, and macrophage phagocytosis.’
Late 19th century: from phagocyte + -osis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.