One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A herbaceous American plant with clustered blue, violet, or white flowers.
Genus Phacelia, family Hydrophyllaceae
- ‘Phacelia is a genus made up of about 150 species, It is well represented in our mountains where several phacelias are quite showy plants.’
- ‘Silky phacelia stood purple and straight, pussy toes bowed their heads.’
- ‘This year I'm using winter tares - a winter hardy vetch which will fix nitrogen and provide good protection, but in the past I've also used clovers, buckwheat, phacelia and grazing rye.’
- ‘In the more stabilized dune sections, the tawny sands flare with color, thanks to the blossoms of desert gold, pink desert sand verbena, and purple phacelia.’
- ‘On the desert floor all around us blossomed yellow desert dandelions and purple phacelias.’
Modern Latin, from Greek phakelos ‘cluster’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.