One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the nightshade family with brightly colored funnel-shaped flowers. Native to tropical America, it has been widely developed as an ornamental hybrid, with numerous varieties.
- ‘White cyclamen, snapdragons, petunias and alyssum are cool-season annuals you can add now.’
- ‘Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.’
- ‘Tried and true varieties include Gerbera daisy, pink and purple wave petunia, begonias, Calla lilies, fragrant heliotrope and stock.’
- ‘Geraniums, pansies, petunias, primroses and snapdragons could provide shades of red late fall through spring.’
- ‘Set out tender bedding plants such as petunias and marigolds after the last frost of spring.’
Modern Latin, from French petun, from Guarani petȳ ‘tobacco’ (to which these plants are related).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.